Random Trivia For This Title:
- The only film to have three nominees for the Best Supporting Actress Oscar—Diane Cilento, Edith Evans, and Joyce Redman. The award was won by Margaret Rutherford for The V.I.P.s.
- When Tom first arrives in London, we briefly see the coat of arms of the Carpenters Company of London hung upside-down.
- Much of the scene in which Tom Jones and Mrs. Waters are eating together was improvised during the three hours it took to shoot, and the actors felt the effects from the food for days.
- Hugh Griffith was reportedly drunk through much of the production; the scene in which his horse falls on him was not planned, and many believed he was saved by virtue of his inebriated condition. The film incorporated every frame of footage before rescuers entered the frame to save him.
- Albert Finney felt the lead role wasn't serious enough, and agreed to star only if he got a producing credit; he later traded the credit for profit participation.
- Lynn Redgrave's film debut.