Random Trivia For This Title:
- It was reported in [Entertainment Weekly] that the entire cast was only signed to this movie when they agreed to do at least two sequels. The sequel plans have since been canceled, as the film failed to recoup its budget in North America.
- Gary Oldman was the first member of the cast to sign on, jumping at the chance to appear in a family film. He's listed twice in the ending credits, credited as "Dr. Smith" and again as "Spider Smith".
- Despite opening in theaters on April 3, Lost in Space was the first new film of 1998 to open at #1 at the box office. This was due to the incredible 15-week reign of Titanic at the top spot, which began in late December. Since it finally knocked "Titanic" out of the #1 spot on the box office charts, for a short time after its release the movie was given the nickname "The Iceberg".
- The part of Don West, played by Matt LeBlanc, was originally offered to Matthew Perry.
- Matt LeBlanc filmed his role while [Friends] was still shooting, and had to fly back and forth between sets several times per week in order to do both projects at the same time.
- Mark Goddard (the General) was the original Major Don West from the TV series. June Lockhart (Principal Cartwright) was the original Maureen Robinson while Marta Kristen and Angela Cartwright (Reporters 1 & 2) were the original Robinson girls while Dick Tufeld reprises his role from the TV series as the voice of the Robot.
- At the very end of the movie, when the planet collapses in on itself, becoming a black hole, the scene cuts to the robot for the last time, who has developed a pair of square eyes, reminiscent of the robot V.I.N.C.E.N.T. in The Black Hole.
- In the original script and movie adaptation, it wasn't Silicon Graphics who co-sponsored the Jupiter mission, it was Coca-Cola. The Jupiter 2 control room has computer displays by Silicon Graphics.
- The first robot in the movie weighed two tons and required eight people to control.
- According to the screen writer, if this movie did receive a sequel it would have been about the Robinson Family making it to Alpha Prime. However they'll discover that Alpha Prime is already populated with humans because they previously went through a worm hole in the first movie that sends them into the future. Along with a sub-plot with Judy Robinson creating a cure for Dr. Smith to prevent the spider infection from turning him into Spider Smith and Penny ending up receiving the same color changing abilities as Blawp has.